You probably know I went to Chicago recently since I've posted about a million pics of the snow, the approach into O'Hare, and a few shots of some of the work we did. (I still have a lot to show you!) While we were there we worked with a man named John Granata, who was so, so generous in showing his technique for transferring images onto metal. It's called a Daas Transfer. (More on that some other time.) Casually, towards the end of our workday, John mentions that it's possible to print over metallic paint. No one said much at the time, but we all knew what was going to happen when we got home. We've all experimented with gold/copper/silver leafing, putting it over colorful tissue, printing over it for great textures, etc., but that's a lot of work and easy to mess up.
Cut to this morning, when now all five of us have emailed each other with our results. We've pretty much been working together in a virtual lab, tweaking and playing, offering suggestions and ideas. This weekend I finally went to Michael's for some (too much) metallic (acryllic) paint. I got several different golds, a bronze, a copper and some greens I couldn't pass up, and yesterday, finally got to try it out for myself!
This one is on Canson BFK Rives paper. I painted a gree layer first, followed by a coat of bronze. Itried scratching away some of the bronze to reveal the green, but it scratched through to the white of the paper, so I quit. I love the depth of the blacks in this image. I may need to lighten the bottom next time, and perhaps even darken the top. Figuring out how this process call work with my portrait work should be fun!
Next I tried the gold paint, which I painted over a coat of dark yellow.
Again, I was envisioning that I might scratch a portion of the gold away to reveal some of the yellow. In my head, I'm figuring out how to make this work for a Klimt-like effect. That will take a lot of planning ahead of time, even when I'm shooting the images. Believe me, if I perfect that process, you'll hear about it! So this was the same black and white image printed on gold over yellow paint. I was out of fine art paper, so I pulled a sheet of paper from my boys' watercolor pad--nothing fancy--just regular-old watercolor paper. (Next, I'll be printing straight onto that paper to see how a standard print looks on it.)
For my first two attempts, I'm pretty pleased. Watching the prints come off the printer was pretty exciting--me, full of hope that it had actually worked, that there wouldn't be pools of black ink smeared around my print, that I wouldn't destroy my printer in the process. (I didn't.)
By the way, both of these were printed on my Canon i9900. I've had it forever, and it's a work horse, for sure. I wasn't ready to attempt using my new Epson for experimentation.